The Su-35 is a 4++ generation aircraft employing technologies of the fifth generation. The aircraft is almost superior to all other 4th generation fighters now under development worldwide.
The Sukhoi Su-35 (Flanker-E) is a single-seat, twin-engine supermaneuverable multirole fighter. It is a derivative of the Su-27 'Flanker', and was initially known as the Su-27M.The first experimental Su-35, completed in summer 2007 and first appeared at Russia’s MAKS-2007 air show. . The Export configurations were designated Su-35. This aircraft was used as the basis of the Su-37 Flanker F advanced technology demonstrator, often labelled as the Super Flanker.
What’s New in Su35S from Predecessors?
The impressive Su-35S is the latest incarnation of the T-10 family of fighter aircraft. It would be fair to describe this aircraft as the pinnacle of current conventional fighter design, blending a superb basic aerodynamic design with advanced engine, flight control and avionic technology.
What is new in the Su-35? First off, the fighter will get an improved airframe, which will dramatically increase its service life to 6,000 hours, 30 years of operation (the time before the first test and recondition and the between-repairs period has been increased to 1,500 hours, or 10 years of operation). Aerodynamically it is similar to the Su-27. But unlike the Su-30MKI it will feature no canard fins. All the three channels will have electrically signaled control without mechanical cabling. The use of a new integrated control system (developed by MNPK Avionika Moscow-based Research and Production Association) simultaneously performing functions of several systems – remote control, automatic control, limiting signals system, air signals system, chassis wheels braking system – will enhance the fighter’s handling capability and maneuverability. Notable changes include the removal of the dorsal speedbrake, additional internal fuel, and plumbing for AAR and external drop tanks. . A quadruplex digital flight control system is used. The Item 117S engines, which use key components of the Al-41F supercruising core, are employed.
Another important difference of the Su-35 from predecessors from the Su-27 family is the use, in its power plant, of new engines with an increased thrust. Those engines, known as 117S, have been developed by NPO Saturn Research and Production Association.
The Su-35S is the first non-US fighter with substantial sustained supersonic cruise capability, which provides this aircraft with an enormous energy advantage against conventional opponents in most regimes of air combat.
the new engines, known as 117S are used in su35s.the engines are substantially modified AL-31F production engines employing fifth-generation technologies. They use a new fan, new high and low pressure turbines, and a new digital control system. A provision is made for using a vectored thrust nozzle. The modernization has increased the engine special mode thrust by 16%, up to 14,500 kgf. In the maximum burner-free mode it reaches 8,800 kgf. Compared to today’s AL-31F engines, their capabilities will grow substantially, by 2 to 2.7 times.
Avionics And Radar
The avionic suite is fully digital. . A new glass cockpit is employed, using large area displays. The Khibiny electronic warfare suite is employed, with new wingtip DRFM technology jamming pods.
The core of the Su-35 armament is a new radar control system with a phased antenna array (Irbis-E). It features unique capabilities in terms of the target detection range.IT CONSISTING an X-waveband multi-role radar with a passive phased antenna array (PAA). Irbis-E radar control system detects and tracks up to 30 air targets, retaining continuity of space observation and engaging up to eight targets. The system detects, chooses and tracks up to four ground targets in several map-making modes with various resolution at a range of up to 400 km, without stopping to monitor the airspace.
|su35s cockpit view|
The Su-35 merits are the following:
- Supreme flight performance, super-agility mode
- Long range information targeting system
- Advanced jam-resistant secure communication system providing data link between the aircraft and ground-based command centers
- High-performance air-to-air and air-to-surface long- medium-, and short-range guided weapon mounted externally on 14 hardpoints
- High-performance EW and ECM systems
- Electronic reconnaissance system
- Design features aimed at stealth capability enhancement
- New indication and signaling system with Multifunctional Display, notable for its enlarged capacity and advanced quality of provided data
- In-flight refueling system.
- Crew : 1
- Length: 21.9 m (72.9 ft)
- WINGSPAN: 15.3 m (50.2 ft)
- Height: 5.90 m (19.4 ft)
- Wing area: 62.0 m² (667 ft²)
- MAX TAKEOFF WIEGHT: 34,500 kg (76,060 lb)
- POWERPLANT: 2 SATURN 117S with TVC nozzle TURBOFAN
- Dry thrust: 8,800 kgf (86.3 kN, 19,400 lbf) each
- Thrust with AFTERBURNER: 14,500 kgf (142 kN, 31,900 lbf) each
- MAX SPEED: Mach 2.25 (2,390 km/h, 1,490 mph) at altitude
- RANGE: 3,600 km (1,940 nmi) ; (1,580 km, 850 nmi near ground level)
- FERRY RANGE: 4,500 km (2,430 nmi) with external fuel tanks
- Service ceiling: 18,000 m (59,100 ft)
- Rate of climb: >280 m/s (>55,100 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 408 kg/m² (84.9 lb/ft²)
- Thrust/weight: 1.13